Interview: Photographer Andrew Montgomery

Andrew Montgomery is the photographer behind many of House & Garden's most beautiful shoots, including this month's story on the new fabric collections. (Buy our October issue to see the full feature.) We quizzed the lensman on his photography style, the sources of inspiration behind his work and all things Instagram

Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
Andrew Montgomery with his Canon camera

Where are you from? 

I was born in Romford, Essex. 

Where do you live?

Currently, just outside London in Kingston.

How long have you been a photographer?

I started taking pictures at the age of 7. I remember wanting a camera to take on my first school trip to Holland!

Describe your style of photography.

My style of photography is natural/atmospheric - I always try to give the images soul.

What inspires you?

Inspiration comes from many things. Great cinematography is a big influence, as well as the impressionists - especially Turner.

Your favourite assignment?

The travel story I shot in Burma last year was an amazing assignment, especially because the images I shot on my iPhone (see below) are some of the best images I have taken! 

Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery

Your favourite image of your own work?

Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
Beauty of light on a mid-winter morning
Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
ReedHarvest

Your three favourite photographers?

Paul Strand, Edward Curtis and Steve McCurry. Also, Salgado.

If you could publish a book on any photographic subject what would it be?

I would love to shoot a project on artisans - a real beautiful coffee-table book!

What will people see if they follow you on Instagram?

Instagram for me is an amazing place. It provides a virtual scrapbook, showcasing things I see that could not be shared any other way. It provides a visual narrative to my work, places and moments on any given day, be it on a shoot, walking down the street or on holiday. I don't shoot pictures of my feet, selfies or drunken nights out. I always want to post things I find interesting/funny/moving/inspirational in the hope that other people will enjoy seeing them too.

Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery

Three Instagram accounts you'd recommend?

@claracrimplene, @ioegreer, @chrisburkard

Best piece of advice for taking good Instagram pictures?

Best piece of advice is to take lots of pictures. Let your instincts guide you, then edit them later. Make sure your phone has lots of memory. I have just upgraded my iPhone and went for the 128GB memory as my old phone filled up so quickly with images. Nothing more frustrating than 'cannot take photo' coming up on your phone when you are in the moment!

Also, Squaready is a fantastic App for re-sizing your images, adding borders, etc. Perfect for really nice Instagram posts, I highly recommend it.

Pinterest
Pin It
Andrew Montgomery
A shot from the pagan inspired new fabric collections shoot from the October 2016 issue of House & Garden

andrewmontgomery.co.uk | Follow Andrew on Instagram at @montgomeryphoto

Like this? Then you'll love

A French farmhouse restored



Written by