Art World Insider: Charlotte Verity

Inside the world of botanical artist Charlotte Verity

Pinterest
Pin It
Anne Purkiss

  • I work directly from observation; either in the garden or from something set up in my studio. If it's an outside day, I check the weather forecast, dress accordingly, lay out the paints on my palette, then stand in exactly the same spot as the day before. A studio painting starts in the same way: I do what I can to make sure that my eyes are in the same relationships to my subject as they were the day before.
  • A new painting often begins by going into the garden and 'prowling and peering', as I believe Vita Sackville-West once put it so nicely. I'm searching for a motif. To my mind, when painting the sharp red of the fuchsia flower cutting into the white canvas, I feel the sudden brightness of all late flowering and the decay of autumn (pictured below is Fuchsia Fall, 2013).
Pinterest
Pin It
Stephen White
  • If the painting is to have any life, I have to have a feeling for it. Once started, I'm straight in - paint on canvas, trial and error. It can come quickly, but more often they are slow: a whole season or two, or even a year.
  • My favourite days are open-ended so that by the time the light fades, my feet hurt from standing and my eyes ache from looking.

charlotteverity.co.uk

Like this? Then you'll love

The Art World Recommends...



Written by